Beginner questions about photo editing tools

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
davidedric Veteran Member • Posts: 7,482
Re: Beginner questions about photo editing tools

Any photo editing tool will have a learning curve, but I think it's a personal thing how steep the curves seem to scale.

Refering to Steve_z's comments.  Photoshop Elements will likely do all you need, and is certainly a cost effective way into photo editing.  In my case, though I used Elements for a number of years, I never got really comfortable with it.

In contrast, when I started using Lightroom, at least 10 years ago, it just felt right.  It does work rather differently from most other editors though (which leads, for example, to it being entirely non-destructive, whatever file type you are using).  So if you do decide to give it another go, read up a bit first.  I recommend starting here with Victoria's free ebook: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/

Also beware Adobe's naming.  There no fewer than three different products called some variety of Lightroom, check back if you want more advice.

However, which ever product you choose, you can get lots of support here.  The more "mainstream" you choose (Elements, Photoshop, Lightroom, PhotoLab, Affinity Photo,etc), the more support and advice there tends to be.

davidedric's gear list:davidedric's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow