AI denoise and sharpening.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Ken Croft Senior Member • Posts: 1,935
Re: AI denoise and sharpening.

Ken Croft wrote:

There is a lot of discussion on the net about AI noise reduction and sharpening software, and I have been going round in circles trying to find something better than my old Photoshop CS6 and DXO Optics Pro 11. After trial versions of DXO PureRaw, ON1 NoNoise and Topaz DeNoise AI, I gave up and I gave OM Systems WorkSpace a proper go at some files. I find that bird images that I have seen posted with AI noise reduction and sharpening often have feather detail which to my eyes looks very false and often sharpened beyond anything I would expect to see on a real bird.

The pictures below are from raw files from my OM-1 with the Oly 300mm f4 pro. They are quite severe crops and have only been through WorkSpace with no sharpening, and then Workspace AI noise reduction. I don’t think Workspace AI includes sharpening, but I don’t really know. Some may see these images as soft and I am sure that they could be changed to bightingly sharp, but in my view unrealistic images.

I am happy with these. At the moment I will not be investing in additional software.

Comments welcome.

Ken C

I perhaps should have mentioned that these were all taken in a dark woodland at ISO 3200 and wide open at f4 on the 300mm f4 pro.

-- hide signature --

Ken C

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow