Have Sony made a bad call with the A9iii?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Alpha user
Alpha user Senior Member • Posts: 4,140
Have Sony made a bad call with the A9iii?

My initial reaction was wow, my second reaction today, is why release this now?

I don't know about others but it feels like Sony has not read the market very well with this release, who was dissatisfied with the a9ii/a1, truthfully from a burst/performance perspective? very few I would say. I know its not about me but really what was needed /required was the a9 series and a1 series updating with the recent ai/ergo/function tweaks of the a7r5 but with the same blistering performance and bench mark already set by these two cameras. A small lift to 36mp on the a9iii would have gone down a whole lot better as a stacked sensor than this global 24mp sensor with dubious dr/noise response.

Personally, to replace the a1 with this camera is an absolute downgrade, but I'm not the target market obviously, no. But with nothing else on the horizon, I do feel Sony hasn't really provided anything new here and as they are playing it very coy with the new firmware too it all feels a bit peculiar behaviour to be honest.

Good luck to all of those who think the a9iii is a worthy successor to the a9ii but right now I am completely nonplussed by it.

Alpha user's gear list:Alpha user's gear list
Sony a1 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sony FE 35mm F1.8 Samyang AF 75mm F1.8 FE +6 more
Sony a1 Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow