New Capture One masking and pricing

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MattPointZero
MattPointZero Senior Member • Posts: 2,411
New Capture One masking and pricing

I have been vehemently put off by C1 over the last year or so - falling way behind the excellent LR masking AI, and the awful, convoluted and seemingly overpriced purchase options.  I have been very much bumping my gums about their choices.

This week, somehow that all changed! They are still expensive if you buy the 'wrong' way, and the purchase options still seem unnecessarily complicated - however...

The new AI masking is REALLY good based on early try outs - very different to LR, sort of more manual, but in being so, super adaptable to anything you want to mask, whatever the photo.  There is an element of skill/familiarity in using it, but it really feels like the more you use it, the faster and more intuitive it will become.  The actual mask edges and ability to use the refine tools mean the edges are better / easier to control than in LR.  A really positive upgrade from what I have tried.

Also the pricing.  So I was one of the disgruntled perpetual license crowd.  Not loads of interest in the mobile options, but do use the Live service for client photo selection and comment (now viewable in the desktop environment) so was upgrading every year usually on a black friday type deal, (150-200 a year range I think?) for desktop only.  Because I bought that in the last 12 months, I got 40% off first annual price of the all in one bundle for £159.  Once you take off the £48 a year I was paying for the live service anyway (now included in all in one) Capture one PLUS mobile is effectively under a tenner a month.  Perfectly manageable.

I can't help but think that if they want to maximise subscription, then they would be better just offering the whole lot to everyone for £15 a month, getting rid of the complex structures, and loads more people would just sign up...but I am not a business analyst so who knows.  There has been a lot of negativity about them this year on the forums

Could be a C1 revival for me - I do think they need to add some basic functionality into the ipad version as that seems to have stagnated immediately on release despite having lots of promise - but things seem more enticing now than they were 6 months ago, for me at least.  As always, YMMV

MattPointZero's gear list:MattPointZero's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 100 II Fujifilm GF 23mm F4 Fujifilm GF 45-100mm F4 Irix 45mm F1.4
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow