What's with people needing to share their reasons for switching to ML systems?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Brev00
Brev00 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,944
Re: Here’s a practical example

NZ Scott wrote:

Brev00 wrote:

NZ Scott wrote:

Brev00 wrote:

NZ Scott wrote:

Brev00 wrote:

NZ Scott wrote:

GeoffRG wrote:

NZ Scott wrote:

GeoffRG wrote:

Having calculated the cost of switching my question is more along the lines of “where do people find the money?”.

Switching systems isn’t so costly if you sell and buy on the second-hand market.

I’m currently in the process of moving from M43 to Sony full frame - and I have a dozen M43 lenses to sell.

I only need to buy one body and 3-4 lenses for the Sony system so it’s possible I’ll even come out ahead.

Cheers,

Scott

It appears that many people have Z8 and/or Z9 bodies and a bag full of fast prime lenses costing £/$ more than I have to spare.

My calculations were based on selling my SLR kit and buying equivalent mirrorless kit second hand. Unfortunately (or probably fortunately) the used prices for top of the range Nikon Z cameras and lenses remain high hence a shortfall of £10,000 a not insignificant sum. Added to which, I don’t really want to view the world on a miniature TV screen nor do I have any intention of buying on credit.

My suspicion is that many people buy the latest because it is the latest rather than because it does something their old equipment couldn’t do. I upgraded my system between September 2022 and May 2023 largely by selling equipment I wasn’t using. There was one lens I didn’t think I wanted to part with but it turned out that it hadn’t been used for 24 years!

As far as I am concerned life isn’t measured in “things” and switching to a mirrorless camera system that does the same as the SLR system I already have, but haven’t fully mastered, doesn’t make sense.

Let's say you're 30 years old and still have 50 years of photography ahead of you.

You own a Nikon D850 DSLR and several lenses.

All DSLR systems are now dead - there will be no updates to that body and probably no updates to the lenses.

True

So unless you're willing to use your old-tech D850 and old-tech lenses for the next 50 years, you'd better switch to mirrorless now while your DSLR gear still has some value and you can get some money for it.

That makes no sense to me. One can continue to use a D850 for years to come at zero cost then buy a Z8 or whatever new or used when the need arises. That is much more financially sound than worrying about losing some resale value at some unknown future point.

You’ll lose nearly ALL of the resale value and this will happen within 5-10 years.

By that reasoning, one should have sold one's D850 five years ago when one could have got $3k for it. Now, one might get $1500. That's a loss of $1500 the same I lose now by keeping it for another 5 years.

You’re forgetting that there’s more to a system than just the camera body - lenses depreciate at a slower rate than bodies and can retain value for a very long time.

Let’s say you’ve invested $10,000 in a DSLR system. You sell it now and get $7000 and buy the mirrorless equivalents for $10,000. You’ve future-proofed your camera gear for $3000.

Instead, you wait a few years to sell and only get $3000 for your DSLR because nobody wants to buy into a dead system anymore. Then you buy the mirrorless equivalents for $10,000. You’re $7000 out of pocket instead of $3000.

You’re welcome.

S

I drive a 15 year old Toyota Highlander. By your reasoning, I should have sold it 10 years ago and be about to buy my third car since. Instead, I've been driving free of payments for 10 years.

No, that is not my reasoning because people still want to buy Toyota Highlanders should you decide to sell it.

For less than I would have gotten 10 years ago. You missed the entire point! 🤦🏻

You’re missing the entire point - DSLR systems are a special case because they face unusually rapid depreciation.

Unusually rapid? The D850 that was bought for $3300 back in 2017 can now be sold for a range of prices but let's average it off at $1500. About 50%. After 5 years, a Highlander retains about 50% of its value (46%). This is well after all sorts of z cameras have been released.

S

As long as one is happy with the DSLR.

Cheers,

Scott

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --
 Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow