To save some frustration: BSOD. It ain't always Windows OS fault...

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
stateit
stateit Senior Member • Posts: 1,836
To save some frustration: BSOD. It ain't always Windows OS fault...

I've had a right royal run around the past couple of weeks. And I initially blamed it on Windows major updates (timely coincidence).

I've not suffered recurrent Windows' BSODs for years. Absolutely so many years I couldn't tell you if it was NT4 / Vista / Whatever days.

The last couple of weeks they became a regular occurrence, with varying error codes. I couldn't get into recovery. Sometimes wouldn't POST on power on. Sometimes did. It got to the point I couldn't even reinstall from a Win recovery USB as it kept failing at some point in the process. At one point I did manage to successfully boot into Linux from a USB stick (20th time lucky) and copy my last tranche unbacked-up files to somewhere safe.

Long story short: Reseated the RAM. All OK. That is all that was causing the problem...

I'm thinking the RAM clearance is so minimal from the cooling system (about 1 mm on the closest row), over time it unseated from vibrations.

So folks: When it all goes FU, take it apart, and put it together again...

Bye ! 

-- hide signature --
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow