18 1.4 vs 23 1.4 , some considerations

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
redisred Regular Member • Posts: 148
Re: 18 1.4 vs 23 1.4 , some considerations

I have both - over a year with the 18 and around 6 months with the 23 - and I can just say that it’s a tough call. I also have the 33, and the 18 and 33 combo gets used more than the 23 (this is all on an xpro 3). However, I LOVE the 23 so much, it’s definitely what I’d pick for a 1 lens day. Around the house, with my family, it’s perfect. I spent a lot of time with the 35L (v1) in my professional days, and a Sony RX1 after that, and this lens makes me not miss them at all. The bokeh and sharpness at 1.4 is something I’ve not experienced before. I find the rendering gorgeous personally, and it actually focuses where I want it to. I’m sure compared to modern FF lenses it’s missing a magical ineffable something, but those are usually much larger and more expensive. All things considered, I’m very happy with it. That said, the 18 is just as great but wider. (Ok the looser aperture ring is a tad annoying) It really comes down to focal length preference imo, they’re both really really great.

redisred's gear list:redisred's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro3 XF 90mm Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN | C Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 R WR +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow