A7IV firmware 2.01 released

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
newdom Contributing Member • Posts: 794
Re: Another view of Sony firmware updates

Mike Fewster wrote:

David J W wrote:

Sony has released a minor update: A7IV firmware version 2.01. The only listed bugfix is stopping Auto Time Correction and Auto Area Adjustment from being turned off in the Creators' App, which was an annoyance I had encountered with 2.00. There is also the usual Sony catch-all phrase for bug fixes: "Improves the operational stability of the camera".

I have noticed better Wi-Fi and FTP connection logic - the camera retries rather than the 2.00 behaviour of giving up if it fails to connect the first time. I have also noticed some of the icons have moved around on the rear screen display.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/canon-and-nikon-have-delivered-eye-detect-and-8k-over-firmware-sony-almost-nothing

It's great that bigger media outfits are saying this so directly, as well as Canon potentially opening up RF mount, Sony will have to change their attitude towards supporting existing products going forward. I don't have an A1 but the total lack of support for that extremely expensive flagship kit puts me off buying any Sony body new.

It's not that they have to - I totally get the argument that you should buy the camera that's being sold and not what it might possibly be in the future - but it's that they could do and choose not to. They develop things like focus breathing and focus stacking and add it to all future bodies - even entry level - and these could clearly be added via firmware to the A1, but they choose not to. I find that a little disrespectful to buyers of such expensive kit.

https://youtu.be/lNf_YhFcSUk?t=1449

newdom's gear list:newdom's gear list
Sony a7C Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS Sony FE 28-60mm F4-5.6
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow