My first experience of Adobe AI generative fill...

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Marco Cinnirella
Marco Cinnirella Veteran Member • Posts: 8,381
My first experience of Adobe AI generative fill...

Maybe I am just showing how much of a novice with the new feature I am, but my first impressions with AI content generation from within PS are neutral to negative at best. Yesterday I tried it out on a number of images. Started off with one of a river scene. I thought hmm, would be great to add a graceful swan serenely floating along the river. So I tried various wordings for getting a swan in the image including simple, basic "a white swan". What I got was indeed a swan but was three options all of which had the white plumage of the swan horrendously blown out, very low res, and they completely ruined the image. Clicking "generate" again just essentially gave me the same images again. Next I tried a moody mono street scene devoid of people - I thought, let's try adding someone to add some human interest. So I typed in "man wearing a long coat with his back to the camera". The one usable image I got from that prompt looked like it had been lifted out of a comic book, like a painting - again, unusable. I picked another street scene and asked for "a pretty girl walking towards the camera" and words to that effect. I got variations of a woman who had a hideously distorted face where the features were either all mixed up or out of place, almost like a surrealist painting. Finally I tried adding "a black cat" to a street scene and variations of that. Into my daytime street scene was added a very, very low res black cat with eyes glowing as if the shot was taken in complete darkness. There was no fur, just solid black, again, quite a lot like an illustration rather than a photo. I gave generative fill one last go - took one of my model shots, selected "subject", inverted the selection to select the background, and requested a generative fill as follows "a view of Santorini". What I got looked like Santorini but was low res, cartoonish, and nothing like the many great stock images that appear to be available of that lovely Greek island. So while I have seen some impressive uses of this tech in YT videos and Adobe ads, I have to wonder what the hit to miss rate is ?!

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/marcoc/
"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansel Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony Alpha a99 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow