How often do you ACTUALLY use OVF (XPro1,2,3; X100 s/t/f/v)?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Xbot Regular Member • Posts: 239
How often do you ACTUALLY use OVF (XPro1,2,3; X100 s/t/f/v)?

I'm a fan of the Fuji cameras with OVFs. I say this even though I use the OVF maybe only 25% of the time? This got me thinking. Why and when do I use it, and out of curiosity, why and when do others use it? Nothing to this question except interest.

I think there are really two fundamental reasons why I like having the OVF even though it's used less than the EVF.

I use the OVF largely because there are times when I'm just tired of staring at a screen. I like the immediacy of the view.  I stare at a screen too much already.  I'm aware that because of the digital information overlay I'm still screening! But, the things I'm photographing are not 'screened' so to speak.

In addition, sometimes I like being 'surprised' in the sense of NOT seeing what the image will be like.  Of course I understand exposure etc. and I've used Fuji enough to feel pretty comfortable predicting what the final image will look like except perhaps in really tricky light.  Even so, I like giving up some of the relative control of the WYSIWYG aspect of EVFs.  Sometimes I just like letting go of some of the utilitarian advantages of the EVF.

I use the EVF (not OVF) when 1) precise framing is important to me, and/or 2) in tricky white balance or lighting situations. I prefer sticking to jpgs because I really like the way Fuji renders and it saves me time on editing, but I do always shoot in RAW also just in case.

Others? Not asking for judgments one way or another, just curious.  Would love to hear.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow