ProPhoto & Adobe RGB Color Space Issues

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
afrat Regular Member • Posts: 182
ProPhoto & Adobe RGB Color Space Issues

I have always had issues with Lightroom Classic displaying certain colors differently than Photoshop and my exported images. I work in Adobe RGB while in Photoshop and export high TIF files in that as well for my clients. JPGs are exported in sRGB and colors are consistent between the two files. I’ve never been able to get really saturated colors to carry over to my edits in Photoshop and I didn’t understand why until I recently discovered LR uses ProPhoto which has a wider gamut. Now I’m not sure what to do as there are things I photograph that are definitely rich and saturated in real life and come in to LR accurately, but become dull and incorrect when in PS. In some extreme cases, the colors are completely clipped and the image looks awful. I don’t want to work in ProPhoto because I know it’s use is limited and my clients would be coming back to me asking why their images look different when they go to print or create subsequent JPGs from the high-res files for any reason.

Has anyone else ran into this issue and found a good solution? I understand I can Soft Proof to see the image with a different color profile in LR but it would be great to just have Adobe RGB as the default so I know the limits I’m working with. Am I just stuck having to toggle Soft Proof for every image just to make sure I’m not seeing something that I won’t be able to replicate in a final image?

afrat's gear list:afrat's gear list
Leica M10 Fujifilm GFX 100S Sony a7R IVA Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow