Quick reminder: the Exposure triangle concept is WRONG

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
io_bg
io_bg Senior Member • Posts: 1,784
Quick reminder: the Exposure triangle concept is WRONG

Hi all,

First, excuse me for the clickbait-y title. The below is not Fuji-specific, but I think it's a bit emphasized in the Fuji community due to the fact many bodies feature an ISO dial.

I keep noticing that many people have fallen for the exposure triangle idea - and time ago I had, too. However, it's good to be reminded that exposure means the amount of light reaching your sensor. This light is filtered through your lens' aperture and then again by your camera's shutter. Only these 2 components define the light hitting your sensor, ISO is not a part of the equation.

When I saw this video some time ago I had an aha! moment. Sure, it's long (almost 30 minutes) but I encourage you to check it out when you have some spare time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7edYQk_4ao

There are probably other shorter explanations, but John P. Hess is a very good tutor and has some great videos on his channel. It's usually video-oriented, but many principles apply to photography as well.

Happy shooting!

-- hide signature --

Best,
Yoan

io_bg's gear list:io_bg's gear list
Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow