Easy photographing with the RX10iv: for a lot of situations with two switches only

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ab S
Ab S Senior Member • Posts: 2,391
Easy photographing with the RX10iv: for a lot of situations with two switches only

Just wanted to share this with you.

I have my RX10iv now for four months, have programmed M1-M3 to my favorite most setting, have also programmed the Fn key to my wishes, but found it taking too much time to go to MR and select the desired memory (M1, M2, M3).

So I found the following most convenient

Autofocus personal setting

• Set in the Fn menu the autofocus on [Focus Area] to [Lock-on AF: Flexible Spot] [Small or medium]. This will have effect on all settings of the command dial (A, S, M)
  • Now you can easily select with the mechanical focus mode switch in front of the camera
    • ‘S’ for single shot AF for static objects: you will see the green rectangle in the viewfinder (will likely use contrast detect AF only)
    • ‘A’ for static objects or potentially moving objects: you will see static (non-dancing) phase detect AF points at the part of the subject where focus has been achieved (combined phase detect and contrast detect AF active)
    • ‘C’ for moving objects and/or in situations of potential camera movement (large f) also for static objects: You will see dancing phase detect autofocus point tracking the object (combined phase detect and contrast detect AF active).

Advantage of this is that you don’t have to go to Fn or into one of the Memory Recall (MR) personal presets anymore. You can almost all situations with two mechanical switches, the command dial switch on top of the camera and the AF switch on the front of the camera.

Comments and advices as always welcome!

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

Ab

Ab S's gear list:Ab S's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX10 IV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow