Wish there were more SSM lenses...Im done with screw drive

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ActionPhotoPassion Senior Member • Posts: 2,857
Re: Never had a problem with screw drive

Maxxuman wrote:

I have many screw drive lenses and several SSM lenses. The SSM lenses are quieter but I don't find the autofocus on them to be quicker or more accurate than that on my similar quality screw drive lenses. In fact most of my favourites are screw drive - Minolta 200/2.8, Sony 135/1.8/ZA and Minolta 85/1.4. Admittedly the latter is slower but the accuracy is fine. And that's been the case on A99 and A99ii.

Hey there,

I have been shooting with the Sony 70-300 and 70-400 ssm lately and I must say that those are faster than my older Minolta (none of them are HS).

The real deal is "Is this relevant for my photography" ? When I shoot surfers or trackday cars I definitely can say that ssm focusing is the winner (obviously noise is not even a criteria for those scenario). If shooting anything else of my usual subject, I just couldn't care less actually.

So the big question is "Does it matter for what I shoot" ?  If no, then if one can find a good 2nd hand ssm for a nice price, go for it, otherwise a Minolta HS will do the job.

-- hide signature --
 ActionPhotoPassion's gear list:ActionPhotoPassion's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A58 Sony a7 Sony a77 II Sony a99 II +20 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
EXX
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow