Abbotsford Airshow 2023

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AlwynS Veteran Member • Posts: 4,555
Abbotsford Airshow 2023

As mentioned in another thread, I went to the local Abbotsford Airshow on Saturday. And to my embarrassment, I have to admit I took, not hundreds, but thousands of photographs... So, understandably, wading through all of that took time. A lot of time! But hey, I am retired, this is my hobby, so time is not a problem, right?

I had mixed feelings about the results. I am really struggling with tracking prop planes while using the relatively low shutter speed to get at least some prop motion blur at the moment. I will have to work on that. Even while using faster shutter speed with some of the fast jets I had some issues. On the other hand, I got some images that I am really happy with. And as an amateur/hobby photographer, I personally feel that is very much what this is about.

As for the show itself: it was a very nice day and I was on the right side (make that the sun side) of the aircraft for a change. I was also in a rather good position in terms of proximity to the action (which always helps in photography!!!) The variety of aircraft in the flying display was a touch disappointing compared to previous years. But, on the other hand, I thought that the quality of the actual flying and the presentation generally was very good.

I will be posting some more, but these are some of the images I liked:

I almost felt the pilot was checking me out! But with obviously full afterburner a few hundred feet above the ground, I am sure he had other things on his mind! The F15's had a fantastic routine: loved it!

Heading into the dark with a puttering engine...

Loved the fact that I was relatively close to the runway: just a berry field separating us. The two EA-18G Growlers really put up a great display.

The Royal Canadian Air Force Snowbirds put up their normal polished, fluent and graceful display.

The F35 was all about brute power and speed. Here it is close to the speed of sound

I saw more, and more detailed, afterburner effects and condensation from maneuvering at this airshow than ever before

I have never before seen the spiraling of the condensation off the wing root as is so clear on the right hand side of this CF-18. Neat!

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

AlwynS's gear list:AlwynS's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610 Sony RX10 IV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD RLBur
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow