a6700 as a 1.5 telecoverter?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
surfoxy
surfoxy Senior Member • Posts: 1,085
a6700 as a 1.5 telecoverter?

Not to dismiss the power of this camera! Rather it seems like an interesting way to add more reach to my lens kit, as well as provide some great video and photographic features. I guess spending $600 or close to it to extend the lenses and slightly degrade the image and light gathering has never left me with the warmest, fuzziest feeling.

Anyway, to be serious I'm starting to have thoughts about doing something like this, primarily to get:

• 600mm of reach on my 100-400 for surf photography
  • Incredible video spec (for me) which my A9ii doesn't really have
  • Another camera body! No huge need here, I'm a hobbyist, but...

So mostly I'm curious if folks have experience using full-frame lenses on an APS-C Sony? I currently have:

• Sony 16-35 GM 2.8
  • Sony 24-70 GMii 2.8
  • Sony 70-200 GMii 2.8
  • Sigma 85 DG DN 1.4
  • Sony 100-400 GM 4.5-5.6

From what I read there's no real downside here image quality wise. Is that folks' experience in real world use?

I guess the video stuff is nice, would be cool to have a useful blogging camera and something with better video specs, but it's minor.

I am interested to see how well the AF works, I don't expect it to be like the A9ii, but I'm thinking it will be plenty sticky enough for sports action. I'm usually dealing with a single subject (surfer, cyclist) against variable backgrounds (water, woods). I don't need the length for the mountain biking work. But it could be a great surf camera.

Appreciate any thoughts!

surfoxy's gear list:surfoxy's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Sony a9 II Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG GN +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow