Move up to full-frame?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BobRocke
BobRocke Regular Member • Posts: 456
Move up to full-frame?

I'm an amateur photographer who has always shot crop-sensor cameras (mostly Olympus and Fujifilm, of late). Although I usually shoot 'ordinary' travel and family photos, I've recently taken an interest in wildlife (specifically birds).

Sony's excellent autofocus tracking of the A9 II combined with its extensive selection of mirrorless lenses draws me to consider 'the big switch.'

But the expense and weight of full-frame lenses causes me to hesitate. As an example, the Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM II costs $2,300 and weighs 1.5 pounds. The Olympus  M.Zuiko ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO II (24-80mm full-frame equivalent) costs $1,000 and weighs .84 pounds. Yes, it's hardly a fair comparison on technical details, but still...

If I opted for f/4.0 lenses, the FE 20-70mm F4 G is 'just' $1,100 and 1.1 pounds. One part of me says f/4.0 would be fine, still having shallower depth of field than the Olympus and about the same as the Fujifilm XF 16-55mm f/2.8 R LM WR (24-82mm full-frame equivalent). But the other part of me says I'd be missing out on one of the strengths of a full-frame sensor and the excellence of the GM lens.

Has anyone made the switch from crop to full-frame and been disappointed?

-- hide signature --

Bob
-----
Robert J. Rockefeller
Midway, GA
www.bobrockefeller.com

BobRocke's gear list:BobRocke's gear list
OM-1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow