Replacement PC choice - Opinions please

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
cmcm789 Regular Member • Posts: 304
Replacement PC choice - Opinions please

I have a laptop for work so my current PC gets little use apart from storing and editing photos and maybe some powerpoint presentations and other microsoft office programmes such as word, excel etc.

I primarily use Lightroom 99% of the time. The odd occasion I will use sequator and Photoshop for some astro. I don't do video editing and I've a PS 5 if I want to play games.

My current spec is Intel i5 6500, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD 1TB HDD. Running Win 10 as is says it's not capable of running Win 11.

The SSD only holds programme files and lightroom catalogues but is 90% full. Lightroom now freezes often. I have Topaz, which although slow is useable for all i do. I wouldn't mind using Lightroom Denoise but it takes >30min per image.

I want to keep my choice simple and have the following 2 entry level set ups to choose from (off the shelf). Both will have Min 512GB SSD and 1TB HDD 16GB RAM and Win 11.

1. Entry level gaming PC

Intel Cor i5-9400f, GTX 1070 8GB

2. Entry Level Photoshop PC

AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 4.6GHz, AMD Radeon Vega 8 Integrated Graphics

I have read that Lightroom utilises a fast CPU, but also the newer AI and Denoise features benefit from dedicated GPU. Overall i'm thinking with the exception of Denoise, i would benefit most from a better CPU in the Photshop machine.

Any experience/opinions (sensible ones as i'm not building my own pc and the choice is above) would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow