Monitor with Mac quality

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JeremyB2 Contributing Member • Posts: 886
Monitor with Mac quality

I'm running a PC with a 30" Dell UltraSharp U3011 monitor which is now 9 years old. My main usage is processing photos. A friend has recently purchased a Mac computer with a 27" screen. Compared with my Dell the perceived quality is considerably better. Colours are rich without being over-saturated, and detail is sharp.

To a certain extent I notice the same comparison when looking at my iPad Retina screen where, again, the quality always strikes me as being better than the Dell. I recognise the fact that the small screen on the iPad will tend to make things look better compared with the 30" monitor.

I've been thinking about a 4K monitor in the 30" - 32" range. Possibly a Dell or maybe a BenQ. Budget up to about £1000. With a new 4K monitor am I likely to see quality as good as the 27" Mac screen? I have limited options for viewing screens in stores and will appreciate any comment from people here much more experienced than me.

PS. Please don’t let this start any Mac vs PC commentary. I’m not in the market for a Mac but do appreciate their screen quality.

JeremyB2's gear list:JeremyB2's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow