Avoiding Canon Banding

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ozark Bill Forum Member • Posts: 84
Avoiding Canon Banding

I have recently discovered that my modded Canon 7D mkii exhibits some horrendous magenta and green horizontal banding when shooting in summer time temperatures. I've gotten some good advice on dealing with this in post-processing. The script in Pix Insight seems the only thing I can do to get a somewhat useable image. I downloaded Siril and tried theirs but I swear that only made it much worse! I also don't have the PS skills to aptly remove it there.

So, I think my best choice is to figure out how to prevent this happening in the first place. I've read the   opinions on the forums and found nothing but conflicting information. I am wondering if anyone has had more experience with this and can add anything else. The 7D does not have a flippy screen, so I can't help it there. There seem to be so many different opinions on this. I have read some that claim shorter subs are better and some that claim longer is better. Some think that setting the ISO towards 800 helps, while others say 1600-3200 is better. Does anyone have anything concrete on the actual imaging settings for ameliorating "Canon banding?" I've also read about programming time in between subs to deal with some of the current related heat build up. If you think this is wise, how much time would you prescribe in between light subs? I would be shooting 30-180 second subs, depending on lens and target requirements. Would 10 seconds be enough?

I am thinking about trying for the cooling approach. Maybe a fan, maybe a rag soaked in ice water draped over the camera's back (with plastic protection). I would even consider a unit designed for cooling, if anyone knows of something that would work with a 7D body.

Finally, what probably makes the most sense, is finding a different body. But, I am stuck with the nice selection of wide glass I have now - mostly Canon, along with the Askar 200mm f/4 (which could be used on any brand). I have heard the Canon 6D series has very little banding issues, but I am not certain about this. This would probably be the easiest move, but I would lose some "reach" that I get using a crop sensor body. What are my chances of being able to adapt my Canon lenses to a Sony body for AP use? I have not had the opportunity to investigate this option at all. If a Sony body would work well with adapted glass, does anyone have a good recommendation for a body I should look for? I guess I would consider both crop and full-frame sensors, but a crop sensor would probably be best. I thought I read that converting Sony sensors for AP can be problematic, but I'm not sure if that was correct or if that is a different brand I read that about.

Or maybe something like a modded R7?

Anyway, I am really on the verge of wondering if summer time AP is not in the cards for me. Any advice you can give on the above questions would be greatly appreciated.

Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS R7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow