Why are Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop starting to use the GPU more than in the past?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
philmar Senior Member • Posts: 2,698
Why are Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop starting to use the GPU more than in the past?

Newer features in Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop are starting to use the GPU more than in the past. I know video games starting this trend and for 3D games I understand
why it is better to use the video processor. But my understanding is that LR and PS are largely coded to use single core of the CPU. Why doesn't Adobe try to harness
the unused potential of the CPU instead of being coded more and more to use the GPU? In the past 2D photo manipulation relied mainly on a fast powerful CPU
and one could even forgo a GPU. Now in addition to a powerful CPU I feel one also needs another expensive PC component (a decent GPU). Why doesn't Adobe
try to code so as to tap the CPU's extra cores instead of forcing users to buy expensive GPUs? Is there something the GPU can do better than the CPU? Is it the extra RAM in the GPU?

-- hide signature --

Phil M. - Toronto, Canada
Time to kill? Then have a look at a few of my photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
You will NOT be disappointed.

philmar's gear list:philmar's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
PMB
PMB
PMB
PMB
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow