Is Nikon going to make a higher end APS-C Mirrorless?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Canadianguy Senior Member • Posts: 2,951
Re: I don't see it

Juggernaut122 wrote:

Hi,
The rumors of the Z90 have come and fallen flat.
I want to upgrade from my D7200 to a mirrorless APS-C model. Nikon's current APS-C line seems pretty unremarkable to me.
Have I perhaps missed some sort of announcement of their plan to make a higher end APS-C mirrorless?
Thanks!

To me, the DX market has 2 main types of users:

1) Second non-work camera (travel) shooter - smaller and lighter camera from their main camera (MF, 35mm), usually paired with small, light primes.

2) Camera for birders / airshow / distance shooters - they need reach - the longer the better.

Nikon never built up their small light primes and the high end bodies tend to be larger - so most of those people are with Fujifilm now.

I was one of the people needing more reach when I purchased my D500, it got pushed to the back of the cabinet when I got the D850, in crop mode - it had the same resolution as the D500 and handled better than the D500 with the long lenses.

With the Z8 / Z9 out now - I don't see those people looking for a 26MP high end APS-C body for reach anymore.

Plus the expectation of a D500 replacement being $2K with a stacked sensor - too little return for Nikon - I don't see them making that investment.

The Z50 and Zfc is Nikon trying for type 1 user.

The Fujifilm X-H2s is targeted at the D500 type user - I don't think its selling that well but I don't think Fujifilm expected big sales on that body anyways. They are short on the long lenses just like Nikon is short on the small, light DX primes.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow