Six Months With The R3

Started 9 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
KiloHotelphoto Contributing Member • Posts: 889
Six Months With The R3

Six month into owning the R3 and I'm very happy with the purchase and don't regret trading in one of my R5's for it. I shoot about 95% wildlife and this is the body I prefer to use most of the time now.

Last December I did a CPS evaluation loan of the R3 to see if it was worth spending the money for. While I had it I didn't have the best luck on finding wildlife to shoot but did find some and tried some high ISO test to compare with the R5 as well as autofocus tracking and speed. I noticed enough of a difference to go ahead and buy the R3 and sell one of my R5's.

I was using a pair of R5's with grips and absolutely hated the feel when shooting vertical and removing the grip the body is just too small for my hands. The R3 fits my hand perfectly and going vertical feels just as good as horizontal shooting. It's by far the best feeling body I've held and the build quality is what you would expect from Canon on a body in this price range.

The battery life is great, will last an entire day of shooting for me, I only do stills no video at all. The buffer has never been a problem but I do wish it had dual CFExpress cards. I'll shoot RAW to the CFExpress and JPG to the SD card. That is probably my biggest complaint about the R3.

The eye control autofocus I have only tried a couple of times and it was OK. I think if I used it more and calibrated it more it would be decent but I just haven't found a need for it. If animal eye AF doesn't grab on right away I just use the smart control to lock on and it seems to be a pretty quick way doing things.

I know a lot of people don't like it is 24mp but it hasn't been a problem for me at all. It's plenty to do a 20x30 inch metal print that is viewed at a normal distance.

I've done two trips with it now, the first to Northern Minnesota in February where it was 1F and windchill of -16F and the second in May to Texas in the Rio Grande Valley where it was 95F. In both cases the R3 and R5 performed well but the batteries in the R5 did drain much quicker in the cold compared to the R3 and neither had overheating issues in Texas. These two bodies are a great combo for wildlife shooting.

This is just a hobby for me but it's nice to be able to share with people some of the animals I've gotten to see. All of the following pictures are full frame shots from the R3 with just a little post processing in Lightroom.

KiloHotelphoto's gear list:KiloHotelphoto's gear list
Canon RF 600mm F4L Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R3 Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +3 more
Canon EOS R3
24 megapixels • 3.2 screen • Full frame sensor
Announced: Apr 14, 2021
KiloHotelphoto's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
excellent
Landscapes / scenery
unrated
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Canon EOS R3 Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow