2 lb travel tripod -- happy with Fotopro X-2Aircross

Started Aug 2, 2022 | Discussions thread
hiepphotog Regular Member • Posts: 439
Re: 2 lb travel tripod -- happy with Fotopro X-2Aircross

Kumsa wrote:

Measuring "stability" is a challenge, so my response is purely anecdotal.

And, looking at your gear, I don't see any huge lenses or overly heavy cameras that would challenge the balance.

The center column has the requisite spring hook to hold a sling bag or backpack, which, of course, adds stability.

The unique locking mechanism for the legs requires a very firm twist to set. I always check it twice, and I have a small square of silicon grip fabric (like what is used for kitchen shelving) that can be useful in twisting a mid-section in cold/damp weather.

The primary utility of this featherweight is ... weight. It's amazingly built and lightweight. I haven't experienced any stability challenges, but then I'm accepting its limitations and wouldn't have it fully extended with a long lens on a really gusty day.

Thank you. That's good enough for me. I just got the Heipi tripod and it packs to an even smaller volume than these (mainly it has a very small packing diameter). The Heipi weighs more than these though, at around 1.07kg (2.36 lbs) without a ballhead. Nonetheless, I'm also contemplating getting these when I really want a light tripod.

In case you want to buy bigger tripod, definitely check out Fotopro's Pantour series (and the Rollei Lion Rock series). By all accounts, they have even better stability than RRS.

hiepphotog's gear list:hiepphotog's gear list
Sony a9 Canon EOS R Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow