New build to last for a good while

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
T-Rex Mark Contributing Member • Posts: 564
New build to last for a good while

Hi all,

I tend to use my main home PCs for long time and my current (intel-asus-nvidia) rig is getting to its end of life (it had some intermediate updates (I think PSU, MB and GPU along the way). I want to get a new PC that would last.

I read quite a few threads here and spent some time reviewing builds here and in pcartpicker, reading reviews and comparisons for various components, arriving to the below config.

Last year I built an AMD-Gigabyte box for/with my kid but for own use prefer Intel-Asus combo as it served me well. Primary use: easy office stuff, photo editing (hobby - Fuji X Raw Studio, perhaps Lightroom in the future), CSGO occasionally @4k (hence RTX3060, also with the idea that there will be more GPU-based compute for photo editing in the future).

• Intel Core i7-13700KF 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor $390.99
  • Fractal Design Define 7 Dark ATX Mid Tower Case $194.99
  • CORSAIR RMx Shift Series RM850x Shift Fully Modular 80PLUS Gold ATX Power Supply $159.00
  • Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler $119.00
  • Asus PRIME Z790-P WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard $249.99
  • Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL36 Memory $144.97
  • Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive $179.99
  • Asus Phoenix GeForce RTX 3060 V2 GeForce RTX 3060 12GB 12 GB Video Card $359.00

Total: $1797.93

I dont like liquid cooling (replaced it on my current rig with air). There is a warning in PCpartspicker that the clearance for the Noctua cooler needs to be checked - any advise how to "model" that?

There is another warning that I may have to separately purchase a plate for Noctua cooler for this Asus board but it seems to be outdated, and Noctua should include the right plate nowadays.

Any concerns on the PSU or the Motherboard? As I had a MB melted and PSU burned in the past, I spent a LOT of time on figuring out which PSU to get (not easy without ramping the cost up to $300-400 on the PSU). So i decided to go with the newer Corsair although there are some reviewers complaining of the shifted cable panel not being good and cables being stiff. Any experience with this PSU in this case?

Storage - I plan to reuse existing drives and then will add another M.2 or HDD when I need more space.

One component I have not yet looked up - an SD card reader, I am sure there are ones that read quite fast nowdays, need to figure out what these are.

Also, the Noctua NH-D15 includes the thermal paste NT-H1, I've read up on it and it seems quite reputable so should be ok to use it.

I would appreciate any critique/suggestions from the pros here; I realize this is likely a bit of an overkill but I plan to grow into the config over the next few years.

Thanks very much and look forward to your comments!!!!

mark

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow