Does pixel shift enhance resolution?

Started Feb 12, 2023 | Questions thread
Muster Mark Contributing Member • Posts: 691
Re: Does pixel shift enhance resolution?

finnan haddie wrote:

1. If you want more resolution then get a better lens with a higher MTF curve.
  2. If that is not an option, then get a camera that has a sensor with more pixels.
  3. If that is not an option, then get a camera with sub-pixel sensor shift HR mode.

I'm not sure it's that simple. There's a difference between sharpness and resolution, but it gets hard to know what exactly people mean when they talk about this stuff. A sharper lens will give sharper results even on a lower resolution body, but at the same time, a higher res body will also provide more detail using a crappy lens than the low res body using that crappy lens. I'm not sure you can really say one trumps the other in terms of technical resolving power, even though generally a lower res photo using an incredible optic is nicer to look at than a mediocre lens on a super high res body. What I do believe to be true is that having 4x the pixels will always be better than doing the pixel shift.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
-Ian

Muster Mark's gear list:Muster Mark's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow