Will buying a flash help solve my Q2’s white balance problems?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AwakeAtTheWheel Regular Member • Posts: 399
Will buying a flash help solve my Q2’s white balance problems?

One of the main problems I’ve had with my Q2 since I got it is that the white balance (when shooting indoors) is never right. I’ll use the gray card WB feature to grab a white I think is neutral (sometimes I change the card I use), I’ll change to vivid on the camera (or turn it off), I’ll switch between 3000 and 3300—why isn't this control more granulated?—but I continually have problems with the walls in my kitchen looking too green, or the opposite, too bleached out. It is very hard to get right. (Outside, it’s fine: I select Auto, Sun, or Cloudy, and it’s usually nearly perfect.)

My question is this: if I buy an SF 60 for my Q2, will that help? Will the flash talk to the camera and say “I’ll be outputting exactly 3278 K—or whatever the number is that it choses—so please receive the light at exactly 3278 K,” and will the camera cooperate, and thus the system get the colors exactly right? This is driving me nuts.

Granted, the “studio conditions” are not optimal: there’s light pouring in from outside through the window, and the lights in the kitchen also have three color settings! I want to either dim those other lights and/or get the flash to output enough that it “overrules” the other light sources. The SF 60 is a lot of money, and it doesn’t have a “Flash!” button (like the SF 24D) to make it burst manually on key command with a button off the hot shoe (which is a deficit that really bothers me, because I love doing “light paintings” at night on long exposures), but at least the SF 60 rotates and will also point at the ceiling.

I haven’t used a flash in over a decade, so I’m really out of practice. (At one point I had a huge Canon system, shot interior group headshots for a newspaper pretty regularly, and was actually on top of this game, but it’s a distant memory.) Any help or input is appreciated. Feel free to tell me the problem is me and not lack of a flash! Thanks.

AwakeAtTheWheel's gear list:AwakeAtTheWheel's gear list
Leica Q2 Leica Q2 Monochrom
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow