View Camera with a DSLR Lens: focusing? (Cambo, SWEBO, ...)

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
campo
campo Regular Member • Posts: 127
View Camera with a DSLR Lens: focusing? (Cambo, SWEBO, ...)

Hi All, Please help me clarify my understanding of how a DSLR lens behaves on a view camera with respect to focusing (e.g. a Pentax 645 lens on a Cambo Actus).

1. There are two ways to focus the lens: you can either move the camera forward and back or you can turn the focus ring.

2. Moving the rear standard forward and back is helpful for focus stacking because it is possible to put a stepper motor on it. It would not be easy to put a stepper motor on the focusing ring. But for single-image capture without focus stacking, then you should be able to rotate the ring on the lens and/or move the camera.

3. If the distance between the lens and the sensor plane is bigger than the lens was designed to accommodate, then that's basically adding an extension tube and focus will be closer than usual. I don't have any evidence to post, but I perceive that this can sometimes degrade IQ. But if the distance between the lens and the sensor plane is smaller than the lens was designed to accommodate, then it might not be possible to get an image in focus at all.

And finally, are there best practices when using a DSLR lens in a view camera? I haven't been able to find any on-line discussions on this. I'm usually working near or shorter than the MFD, between 20-80 cm.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cecelia

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow