Shot some sheep and BIF - are there any tips?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kayasaman Regular Member • Posts: 105
Shot some sheep and BIF - are there any tips?

Hi guys,

I have just had my first excursion into woodland and found some Red Kites and sheep.

The system I am using is a Nikon D500 with a Nikkor 18-300mm lens. As the lens is a long throw zoom aimed at mainly travel photography I understand that there are many optical compromises made to keep costs down and weight low.

Basically it's not the sharpest lens on the block but it is sharp enough.

I'm sure my inexperience and anxiety mainly caused issues but is there any advice or tips that anyone can offer?

My camera settings for these were:

*EV bias of -2

*shutter at 1/1000s

*f/8

*metering in spot mode

*72 point dynamic area AF

*auto ISO

*VR on

To start with here is one of a sheep. It looks ok but doesn't seem sharp enough to me and perhaps the background exposure is a little over exposed?

One thing I have noticed is that this camera and lens combination don't seem to produce fine details. It could me... or it could be the sensor not having a high enough dynamic range? I am not sure ?? My FF Pentax K1 mkii is far superior in this region - though I elected not to use it for this run.

Now on to the big problem. What have I done wrong here?? At home I have been practicing on gulls and anything else that I could find around the backyard and nothing is coming out well. I'm sure it's more me then the camera system but I honestly have no idea where to look

This one I totally goofed up. It's a Red Kite which belongs to the Raptor family.

I had the camera preset to a +1EV bias from the last time I used it which was probably a few months ago now it seems. My shutter therefor was at 1/500s.

After a few many shots I realized the problem then set the bias down to -2EV which I am comfortable with as it lowers the ISO and the noise. The D500 has quite a noisy sensor compared to my Pentax K1.

The shutter was then set to 1/1000s. I didn't change the AF setting. I found that I would get better results with spot mode but still not perfect. Metering was set to to spot:

I really don't understand why the exposure and focus is so bad and how to fix that. Is it just simply the wrong time of day or are there more deeper issues?

Thanks for any advice with these!! Like I mentioned this was my first time out trying this so outside of a few birds in my backyard experience level is pretty much 0.

kayasaman's gear list:kayasaman's gear list
Nikon D500 Pentax K-1 II Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Samyang 24mm F1.4 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-6.3G ED VR +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D500 Pentax K-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow