RX100 M7 noise- not bad?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rambow
Rambow Senior Member • Posts: 2,798
RX100 M7 noise- not bad?

Quite a number of people interested in the series ask whether the M6 and M6 suffer in low light more than the M5 and M4 because of the slower lens. I am tempted to say not really. You will get more blurry shots in P mode with f2.8 versus 1.8 but once you get used to it and learn to hold the camera steady this becomes less of a problem. By default the M7 will try to use a minimum shutter speed of 1/30 both at 24mm but also when using zoom, which is enough to take sharp images, at least at the wide end.

At f2.8 but also further down the zoom range this camera produces really acceptable results as far as i`m concerned. The 4K video is actually more than acceptable.

For practice i took 2 shots in RAW+jpeg mode. The jpegs were a little dark because i used -0.3EV EC but i edited the RAW files and they came out well, but notice how noise and color noise becomes more aparent with the edited RAW files(of course i am a RAW editing noob), so i think i will stick to jpeg only files from now on(which can also be edited, of course).

I am comparing the iso results with what large sensor cameras produce and to be honest i feel little need to switch cameras. Sure, larger sensors produce less noise, finer grain and retain details better, but usually the M7 gets away with iso 2500 or less, in these samples the camera choose iso 2000 and 1250 and i think the results are competitive, it`s after iso 3200 when the advantage of larger sensors becomes aparent and the RX100 can still provide good results even then because it has a handheld multishot NR mode, available in the iso selection box. The multishot mode works well but i don`t usually use it because i don`t feel the need for it(some details are lost when using it, that`s my impression).

Anyway, enough from me. What do you think?

sooc jpeg

edited RAW file

jpeg -0.3EV

RAW

Rambow's gear list:Rambow's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-71
Canon EOS M6 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow