Body and lens durability and reliability

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Aston Senna
Aston Senna Regular Member • Posts: 150
Body and lens durability and reliability

Hey all, so I'm gearing up for a switch from Nikon to Sony, and maybe the last reservation I have is about general durability and reliability of Sony bodies and lenses. I noticed most all lenses and bodies are made in Thailand , even the new expensive 70-200 II is made in Thailand, instead of Japan (no discriminating against the Thai, but in cameras you're usually trained to think seeing Made in Japan means it's made better). And like with the relatively super lightweight of some GM lenses (like the 35 1.4 and 70 -200), if they're skimping on overall build, like are they wayyy more fragile now). Same with bodies, and how they're (even an a9 that I want) not as weather sealed as my Nikon D4s.

I'm easy on my gear, even in tough environments when trackside at motorsport events, but I am only slightly hesitant about investing in gear that maybe won't last as long with real world use in a variety of environments. Like, do buttons start sticking, wheels stop turning etc.

Thank you all!

I want to switch to e-mount for the reasons mentioned, lighter weight is always nice!, but also want to do my due diligence first before committing (:

Aston Senna's gear list:Aston Senna's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Nikon 85mm F1.8G +8 more
Nikon D4S Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow