Tempted to enter MFT system for sports and action photography

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tommy S
Tommy S Contributing Member • Posts: 770
Tempted to enter MFT system for sports and action photography

I have been following news and reviews of the newest OM-1 recently, and I am more and more tempted to enter this system. Previously I used Sony APS-C and FF and 2 years ago I switched to Canon R6 with great satisfaction in terms of focus acquisition and IQ. I rejected Sony A9II due to its form factor and ergonomics, but must admit, that Sony's Tamron 35-150 is also very tempting combo for my type of photography, as I find this range of FL very usable.

Speaking of the FL range and having R6 I was waiting for R7 to come to the market to complement my gear. I have 24-70 and 70-200F2.8 EF lenses. I rarely use FL above 200 mm.

I have never played with R7 but after reading and viewing what the Internet gives about R7 I think I can give OM-1 (with 40-150 F2.8) a solid try. One of R7 blocking points (maybe not deal breakers) is shutter noise. I would also consider second R6 II body as money is not a big object. This is just hobby, but I never frustrate myself on purpose looking for a imposed balance of my budget and gear. In my hobby I always plan what I want to shoot in terms of topic and when I feel I have explored it I try to look for a new one to explore. This way I want to explore rodeo, stunt bikes and race cars.

To the point   ... sorry for this wordy foreplay.

What I like about OM-1 (from what I read and viewed) is

• Form factor (size and ergonomics) as having two bodies of OM-1 with 12-40 and 40-150 is nice considering outdoor shooting and my age
  • Both Zuiko lenses weigh twice less than EF 24-70 / 70-200
  • Sensor readout speed and silent shutter (7.8 ms) 

I would like to hear from you, what is your experience as far as sports / action photography, using OM-1.

PS. I read The Best Mirrorless Cameras for Birds in Flight Ranked and OM-1 handles very well.

-- hide signature --

Canon R6 beat Sony A9II . Will OM-1 beat R6?
My photoblog http://justimpress.me

Tommy S's gear list:Tommy S's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Samyang AF 14mm F2.8 RF
Canon EOS R6 Canon EOS R7 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro OM System 12-40mm F2.8 Pro II OM-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow