fx30 Video Torture Test: 4K 120P in Very Dim Light at ISO 2500

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Markr041 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,942
fx30 Video Torture Test: 4K 120P in Very Dim Light at ISO 2500

Shooting at 120 fps one should use a shutter speed of 1/250th. This cuts out a lot of light. The fx30 crops to a small part of the sensor (1:1 = an additional 1.62X crop), so that limits the light.

I was asked to try shooting at 120P in a dim place using the second base ISO of 2500 to evaluate the fx30 performance. I shot this video with the Sony E 15mm f1.4 lens. In the double crop of 120P this becomes the focal length equivalent of a 35mm lens, which is a nice focal length. It is still a fast lens, and I was shooting wide open often.

Grand Central Terminal is a very dim place, especially in its underground areas. Here is the HDR 4K video (looks ok in SDR):

One other point - in most of the areas there are bright parts (lights, backlit signs) and very dim parts, so I needed maximum dynamic range to not blow out highlights. Thus I did not engage in deliberate overexposure to lower noise in dark areas, which lowers dynamic range.

Markr041's gear list:Markr041's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic LX100 Sony RX100 IV Panasonic ZS100 Olympus TG-5 +14 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX30
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow