Looking for a 13x19 printer after a thousand years of ignorance

Started Dec 7, 2022 | Discussions thread
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 9,202
Maybe Canon iP8720

I have a Canon Pro-100 that I've been enjoying (for the most part) for many years, and I'm looking for the modern equivalent for my adult daughter. She's an artist--a painter ...

So what's the (affordable) gold standard these days? I'm hoping to stay well under $500 if possible. Browsing B&H, I see that there is a Pro-200 available, on sale for $550, a Pixma iX6820 for $230 and an Epson HD XP-15000 for $400. This is a pretty wide range, but they all claim to print photo-quality borderless 13x19s. They all have good reviews, but it seems like most of the reviews are initial impressions.

You might try the Canon iP8720. It's been running about $249 in recent times. The Pro-200 is the replacement for your Pro-100, and better than the iP8720 (darker black plus extra light cyan, light magenta, and light gray inks), but as you noted it's not "well under $500" at $549. The iP8720 improves on the iX6820 by adding gray ink, which IMO is a worthwhile addition, especially for only an extra $30.

Obviously "affordable" and "gold standard" are contradictory. My guess is you and she would find that either an iP8720 or a Pro-200 can produce quite nice prints on RC-type papers and many coated (semigloss, luster, and similar) 'art' papers. But for a painter who might want prints on matte paper, a pigment-ink printer might be a worthwhile step up. But then you're looking at the Canon Pro-300 for $849, or IMOPO the less-desirable Epson P700 for $629 after mail-in rebate.

Note that with any / all of these models, what's in stock may change from one day to the next, or between B&H and Adorama etc.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Nikon Coolpix AW110 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony RX100 IV Sony a9 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow