Wow...iPhone 14

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Michael Fryd
Michael Fryd Forum Pro • Posts: 15,932
Re: Wow...iPhone 14

RAZORBACKSRULE 1 wrote:

Another feature on new cell phones is the night mode . I was taking pics of Christmas lights last year with my daughter . She had a Iphone 13 pro and I was using a Sony A6000 she was getting pics that looked better than my tripod mounted camera. That's when I realized how good cell phones are now.

In "Night Mode" the iPhone takes multiple images. Each one is noisy, but when stacked the visible noise goes down.

The problem with this is camera or subject movement between captures. The iPhone addresses this with processing. It uses the first image as a reference, and then uses AI to distort the subsequent images to undo any movement. This is a software trick made possible by the powerful processor in the phone.

The iPhone camera is only 12 megapixels. If you want a fair comparison, downsample your Sony A6000 to 12 megapixels.  Downsampling reduces visible noise.

But in any case, if your tripod A6000 images don't look as good as iPhone images, then there may be an issue with your technique.

Michael Fryd's gear list:Michael Fryd's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW130 Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow