Question About White Balance...

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
John Retsal Regular Member • Posts: 259
Question About White Balance...

I've normally just left my Z6 II set at Auto1 but then I started to notice that outdoor greenery wasn't quite like I saw it with my eyes.  It looked a bit too cool. Having read about grey cards, I picked one up and proceeded to set a preset (PRE1) setting outside in full sun.   I then took a shot using Auto1 and then another with the PRE1 setting.

The look from the one taken with the preset is pretty much dead on with what I see with my eyes.

I then had a look at all the camera's standard presets to see if there was one that would match the grey card preset but there isn't one.  Even the Direct Sunlight wasn't quite warm enough.  It's at 5200K whereas my grey card preset recorded 5875K.

I'm thinking therefore that before I start shooting at a location, I should set a preset and then use it for all my shots until either my location changes or the lighting does (clouds, twilight, etc.).

Is this essentially how the preset concept is meant to be used?

ANSWER:
Nikon Z6 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow