Is there such a thing as "Panasonic" Color?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Off The Mark Veteran Member • Posts: 6,596
Re: Is there such a thing as "Panasonic" Color?

jschoonj wrote:

I'm sorry to revive this thread but I noticed you own an S5 and an S1R.
Do you perceive any difference in color/tonality between them or are the files easily matched?

Since you resurrected this thread, I am going to go on a rant here...

Look at a red color chip (or red nail polish, or something you would consider "red" color) with one eye open and the other eye closed. Now look at it again, this time switching which eye you have open, and which one closed.

When I do this, my left eye sees red slightly brighter and slightly skewed toward orange.

My right eye sees red slightly darker and slightly skewed toward magenta.

The differences are very small, but they are noticeable if I really pay attention.

Unless EVERYONE who is going to be looking at the photos has matching high-quality monitors that are perfectly calibrated, and under ideal lighting conditions, and who perceives colors the same way that your eyes do, you might be tilting at windmills.

Also, things like which lens you use, and what the lighting conditions are, will have a larger effect on color.

For example, when mounted on either my S1 or S5), my Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM and my Minolta MD 50mm f/2 have different color when shot at the same subject, and my Panasonic 24-105, when shot at 50mm, has different color as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are notable variations in color between the various Panasonic prime lenses, which were designed to match each other well in most other areas.

And don't get me started about lighting conditions. A lens might have a particularly pleasing color rendition under one lighting condition, but not under another (even after adjusting white balance and tint).

Oh, one more thing: Remember how Sony colors are "green" and ugly??? Well, Tony Northrup (yeah, I know, I know) did a blind test with viewers of his channel and found that the viewers overwhelmingly liked Sony colors.

And since I am on a rant this morning, I thought once again I would remdin people that bokeh is overrated. Yeah, I know it has NOTHING to do with the topic at hand, but I'm on a roll so no point in trying to stop me:

Let the hate being!!!

-- hide signature --

What Middle School Is Really Like:
https://youtu.be/Q1Xtz5EqMuo

Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Olympus E-M1 II Sony a6500 +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow