Lens rental recommendation, please

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CJunc Regular Member • Posts: 103
Lens rental recommendation, please

TL;DR - Newcomer and looking to get a feel for Leica.  Could you please make a recommendation for me for a lens to rent along with an M11 that is representative of feel, color, saturation, or whatever it may be that I dont yet know about Leica and the glass? I think 35mm or 50mm makes the most sense but not married to any decision or FL.

Background: Ive been on Nikon for many years and camera generations and currently shoot D850. I purchased a Zeiss Apo Sonnar 2/135 years ago and immediately fell in love with the outstanding IQ of the lens but also the feel and operation of MF. Now all my shooting is MF with Zeiss, Voight, and some one off AF glass from Sigma. I do nearly 100% landscape, lifestyle, cityscape, and still shooting; no action, no sports, no wildlife. Im getting a little annoyed at lugging all my huge kit around for opportunistic shooting when I travel but Im also not willing to sacrifice on IQ. Its not the weight, its just how unnecessary it feels and how cumbersome it is to lug around.  Im also not a huge fan of the direction of the Z-mount and lens line up - why make this tiny & awesome camera and then stick a 3 pound proboscis on the end? ... I digress. All that and the likes of Zeiss pulling out of 3rd party lens manufacture (or not being granted the Z license, dunno which) means I wont get the glass I want in the future - so, Im considering moving over to Leica.

I think the M11 and the general ethos behind the whole Leica rangefinder system really checks every box for me.

Im going to rent the M11 to really confirm Im comfortable with the system etc and for all the reasons you do such a thing. Ive played with it in a boutique but I want to get it out on the road and do a shake-down, so to speak.

So, to the request.  Can you guys recommend a lens or two that would be a good fit for this exercise?  Im thinking normal-ish, ie 35mm to 50mm.  It doesnt need to be fast, but obviously its fine if it is.  Maybe it should be to assess that but I dont often shoot at 1.4.  What I really want is to rent a lens that is representative of what I can expect from life within the system.  Fit/finish, the IQ, color characteristics, contrast, sharpness, etc.  Zeiss has the "Zeiss Look" and I know people speak of the "Leica Look" but I dont know what to grab to make sure I experience that.  I want to be able to understand what to expect from the system generally after 3-5 days of shooting and digging into the image files, etc.

Anyway, thanks for the guidance and recommendations and looking forward to learning more!

CJunc's gear list:CJunc's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 Sigma 24-35mm F2 DG HSM Art +1 more
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow