Film photography, exposure and pushing or pulling the development

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
birket Senior Member • Posts: 1,007
Film photography, exposure and pushing or pulling the development

I'm steadily getting back into film photography using fully manual cameras and a light meter.

I was out shooting today, and the only film I had with me was Portra 400, so I stuck a roll in my camera.

The camera's top shutter speed is f45 and the top shutter speed is 1/500s.

Due to vignetting of the lens, I also used a 2x stop graduated circular ND filter

I was photographing the frosty conditions with low mist and frosty ground.

Using my light meter app (yet to receive my dedicated light meter in the post), even at f45, 1/500s and the 2-stop filter compensation, I was maxing out at 1/500 when targeting the misty areas of the scene. When targeting the frosty ground, it was dropping down to around 1/250.

What I am wondering is, when sending my film to be developed, should I ask them to develop at the box ISO rating (400), or would it be worth asking them to push or pull it?

I guess ultimately, the light meter app I was using (Light Meter Ultra v2.3.7 on an iPhone) is giving me a reading for putting everything within the spot to 18% grey. So, when pointing at the bright white misty areas, it was giving me a reading to make that mist 18% grey. Correct?

If I wanted that mist to remain white (or very close to white), I should have perhaps set the camera to 1f45 and 1/250?

I've never considered this sort of thing before, so I would welcome any feedback or thoughts. It was certainly challenging conditions for a novice.

-- hide signature --

Kind Regards,
Rich
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.blinkimage.com

birket's gear list:birket's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow