D7200 upgrade to ... Z6ii

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kevinbuckley70 Regular Member • Posts: 112
D7200 upgrade to ... Z6ii

Firstly, thank you to everyone who helped me make the decision about what to get, to replace my very excellent, but ageing D7200. I read and researched all of your suggestions and the two that stood out above everything else were the D6ii and the D7ii.

I decided to go with the D6ii (and the FTZii lens adapter) because I don't need all of those extra megapixels of the D7ii, and they would be a significant storage overhead.

I chose the Z6ii because it does everything the D7200 does plus, amongst other things:

• Better integration with wireless control and download, including geotagging, with SnapBridge, which doesn't really do much for the D7200
  • Better, faster AF with additional modes
  • 'One click' HDR
  • Better timelapse modes and options, including in-camera video prep
  • 4K video
  • Articulated rear display
  • With the FTZii adapter, I can use all of my existing lenses if I need to

And it does a ton of other things plus: the physical user interface is very well thought out.

I bought it used, with warranty, from Jessops (UK).

I also bought, new, the Nikon Z24-200mm zoom. But ... I have some issues here.

This morning I did some quick&dirty comparison shots using the D7200 and the Z6ii, with my also ageing Sigma 18-200mm zoom. My favourite general purpose lens.

As you can see below (512 x 512 and 512 x 170 crops of the unprocessed raw files), the Sigma lens appears to significantly outperform the Nikon Z lens.

These were taken using spot autofocus. I will, later, see if manual focusing the Z lens resolves this.

Overall view

Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow