K5 OVF versus EVF when used a flash

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
KPM2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,059
K5 OVF versus EVF when used a flash

Hello

We have a nice thread about the EVF and I thought I post such a OVF/EVF thread about flash use.

My point is not for to say long live the OVF, my point is that we get often hint's ....go for a mirrorless and their EVF, but seldom we get hint's that this way is also not trouble free:

here a simple example:

In short: I include for my flash pictures the ambience room light. So I meter via spot metering to this lamp, press AE-L and do the flash picture. I show you a picture where you can see the result of this - ambience spot metering to the lamp -, it look's like:

needles to say that I see all of the scene in my OVF, but this is what a LV would show or an EVF

Ok, the flash picture is than this:

That is a privat family picture and it's for memories. Now my son do not like when I use pictures from him an do post it here, that's why I cover him a little bit, for that I can show the picture here.

Now to the EVF: the EVF do show the dark first picture, or you set it to very bright for that you see something. But the AF must lives with this too dark picture and do not work than, or the gained picture is so noisy, that the AF can than not work so good too.

This did happend to this Z9 user. He was probably in a similar ambience light situation like I with my pictures here:

Re: autofocus issues: Nikon Z Mirrorless Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com)

It's worth to read the thread.

Now my point is: with my K5 and it's OVF, such a picture is a easy task, also for the AF of my K5, but a great camera like the Z9 can do have troubles now, because the ambience exposure for the flash picture end up to get a way too dark or strong gained EVF view, and the AF have to try to work with this bad conditions now too.

I think I had to change my workflow, when I would do such for me simple done ambience/flashlight pictures with an EVF camera.

At last: please don't misunderstand me: without the use of a flash and a metering to this lamp, a Z9 user can use AF-C and eye AF without to have any problems !!! My son could jump around and a Z9 make for sure one great AF-C with eye AF picture after the other. !!!

best regards KPM2

Nikon Z9 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow