Early thoughts on the RV

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
davidstock Regular Member • Posts: 441
Early thoughts on the RV

I got an RV today; I've spent most of the day setting it up and getting a general feel for it. As expected it has lots of useability improvements over the RIV, including the better viewfinder and nice articulating screen, snappier operation, lossless compressed RAW, focus stacking, etc. As expected, focus is noticeably better in low light and tracking is stickier in every way.

I'm impressed by the new camera's IS. I need to test more, but my impression is that it will reliably give me at least two more stops of hand holding. That means I can use lower ISO in many situations. To me, that's the equivalent of a meaningful image quality improvement. I can't reliably get critically sharp 1 second exposures, like some reviewers have claimed. But if I brace and take care, I can get some pretty damn sharp images at that shutter speed, which to me is almost unbelievable. Reliably pin sharp? I'm estimating 1/15 or so. Currently, with the RIV, I shoot multiples for anything under 1/60th hand held if I want to make sure to have a critically sharp image.

The other thing about having such good IS is that it seems like it might be possible to make image stacks or do basic focus stacks hand held. When shooting a burst, a focus stack of four, or even a set of four pixel shift exposures hand held, the camera's improved IS can keep things surprisingly well aligned. I'll be experimenting to see what kind of hand held image stacking is possible.

By the way, the leather half case I've been using with the RIV fits the RV. The screen area of the V is clearly thicker in profile, but it has slight clearance above the bottom of the camera. So the actual footprint of the two cameras seems identical. I would guess that any L plate or motor drive that fits the IV will fit the V.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow