Fastest focusing 50&85mm primes for A7IV

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 9,772
Fastest focusing 50&85mm primes for A7IV

Hey Sony users,

I've tried to find satisfying 50mm and 85mm options for my Canon R5, and I failed.

The RF 50mm f/1.2 L USM didn't focus as fast and accurate as I wanted. It's not totally terrible, but it's also not as fast as my Sigma 40mm f/1.4 Art or my standard f/2.8 L zoom.  For 85mm there's a slow focusing 85mm f/2.0 and a crazy expensive 85mm f/1.2. Since that 50mm didn't focus fast enough for me I don't think that crazy expensive RF 85mm f/1.2 L  will do any better.  I'm happy with the performance of the R5 with my Sigma 40mm&105mm Art lenses, but I want something in between. (I will keep my R5 anyway, as I like the camera and it doesn't hurt to have an extra body.)

So I was wondering: how fast is the AF of the Sony FE 50mm f/1.2 G-master and the Sigma FE 85mm f/1.4 DN on the A7IV?  And are those lenses focusing quick and accurate in light as low as shooting wide open at 1/160th & ISO 1250?

Or are there better focusing 50-85mm primes around?

I also read in the DPR's review of the A7IV this body didn't focus as accurate as former bodies?  Can anyone comment on this based on personal experience? Is this improved by firmware updates? Is it depending on the lenses used?

Thanks in advance for any input.

-- hide signature --

45 is more than enough, but 500.000 isn't

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Sony a7 IV Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +23 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow