Lumix 50 1.8 vs Nikon 50 1.8S?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
crashwins Senior Member • Posts: 1,074
Lumix 50 1.8 vs Nikon 50 1.8S?

It's rare, but I'm finding myself without a camera system - but also kinda liberating! I was on the Z7 for a year...I did a lot of paid work with that, but I was always frustrated with the very clinical look of the 50 1.8S lens, having come from the Sonnar 55 and ART 50. Technically a perfect lens, but lacked character and was just too sharp. I started to consider shooting with a 1/8 cinema filter to try and get some of that digital feeling out of it, but then swapped to a GFX briefly. An amazing body and system, but just too slow for me with dynamic portraits.

...so I'm thinking about the S1R. But as a 50mm shooter, I'm unsure of their 50 1.8 (I feel the 1.4 is overkill for my needs). How's that lens as a portrait setup? How is the OOF area? Color? I noticed it's a lot lighter than the Nikon, which surprised me -- why?

Thanks!

Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow