D2H - some first thoughts

Started Nov 15, 2003 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bjorn Rorslett Contributing Member • Posts: 912
D2H - some first thoughts

hi all you guys,

I'm lagging behind the schedule my advertised review of the D2H for several reasons, but be patient, the review will be posted.

So far, I'm confident to say that D2H is a leap forwards compared to earlier Nikon DSLRs and that image quality is really great IF you work with NEF files. Jpgs straight off the camera with factory settings were not spectacular and I have to spend some time into finding out why this occurs. Any way you want your images off the camera, Nikon Capture 4 is mandatory and the quality improvement of this software compared to earlier versions is food for thought.

What impresses me most so far, except for the exceptional handling of the camera and its superb backwards compatibility with generations of old manual-focus Nikkors, is the really low noise levels even at elevated "ISO". In fact, 1600 or even 3200 "ISO" should be applicable in many shooting setups and I've toyed with shooting up to an equivalent of 100,000 "ISO" ( 4 stops beyond the HI-2, or 6400 setting). At 6400 and 12,500 you get plenty of image detail and colours aren't that bad all things considering. From 25,000 "ISO" and upwards colour disappears and noise prevails.

Since I'm away from my computer network for some days now, I have no means of uploading jpg samples to my website. However, I managed to FTP a TIF taken today at 800 ISO and handheld 1/30 sec at f/1.4 (35mm Nikkor, yes it's that appalling bleak, dark, foggy and wet over here now, this picture was taken during the "bright" hours ...). You may download it (note: 11.6 MB file) and decide for yourself whether D2H is noisy or not. Since I didn't bring a tripod, any pictures at 200 ISO were blurred beyond recognition (speeds around 1/4 sec). Only from 800 ISO and up would give sufficiently fast speeds.

If a kind soul could download the file and make jpg sections of it to allow other people to access the file content easier, I'd be grateful.

The URL should be

http://www.naturfotograf.com/D2H/DSC_0076.TIF

I'll delete this file in a weeks time when I return to my premises.

Bye for now, Bjørn

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow