Advice needed for low light filming with EM5.III

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Luke Barker New Member • Posts: 4
Advice needed for low light filming with EM5.III

I've been asked to film a live performance of a band in what is almost certainly going to be low light conditions. It's not a professional / paid job, just doing it casually so the band have a reasonable quality video to look back on and possibly use as additional performance clips for the music course myself and the members of the band are studying.

I don't have as much experience with video as I do with photography so it's interesting learning how to get the most from my EM5.III in this kind of situation but I do have a few things I'm uncertain about.

One of the lenses I would probably use is the PL 12-60 but that of course is variable aperture f/2.8 - 4. I understand that in video mode A or S the camera will automatically adjust ISO to keep exposure consistent however the auto ISO limit is 6400 so I imagine I will be hitting that staight away even at f/2.8. I did a test at home in what I would consider not a dark environment and the camera was already at 5000 ISO with the lens wide open at f/2.8 for correct exposure. I already had the video frame rate at 24p so the shutter speed can be as slow as possible.

If I start zooming in then the video is going to start getting darker as the camera can't go above ISO 6400 even with the aperture darkening. Is there any way to actually see how much negative EV I have in this case as I can't see it on the screen anywhere? I can see what I've set my exposure comp to but not a live indication of EV like you would get in photo mode. The closest thing I've found is if ISO is in manual, when you bring up the ISO setting the camera will tell you the EV for your chosen ISO. But then ISO would be fixed which doesn't help me, I would like to keep it in auto so I can focus on composition.

Also noticed that the EM5.III appears to have only auto ISO in video A and S modes, you can't even bring up the ISO settings if you are in these modes. It is then the complete opposite in video M mode, you can then only set ISO yourself, no auto ISO available anymore. 6400 is still the limit in manual ISO too, the higher ISOs are greyed out. So the EM5.III does seem fairly limited in its video controls. If I wanted to check the EV using the ISO setting as mentioned above, I'd have to go into video M mode first, then switch back to video A mode to regain the use of auto ISO which isn't ideal, hence why it would be useful to see my realtime EV. I suppose I can raise the exposure in video editing software and just do it to taste without having to know how underexposed I was, just at the risk of a lot more noise creeping in?

I do have a faster lens, the PL 25mm F/1.4 but that may be too tight for filming a band on a small stage, although I will take that lens with me just in case.

Thanks!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow