Upgrading to another camera soon!

Started Dec 1, 2022 | Questions thread
Michael Fryd
Michael Fryd Forum Pro • Posts: 16,340
Re: It's probably not the camera...

Bob A L wrote:

Right on, but how do you get folks to realize these things? The highest resolution screen anybody is going to use to look at their digital images is around 8mp, so more is not needed, and the likelihood of most people printing at 24" to 36" wide prints is almost nill.

So unless you are needing super telephoto capabilities and using crops to get there, all these mp's are not of much value.

More megapixels are fun.  It's cool to be able to zoom in and clearly see yourself reflected in the model's eye.    There are a few situations where more pixels are actually incredibly helpful, but most people are seldom in one of those situations.

Better cameras can certainly be more convieninet.    I like to geotag images I take in the Everglades.  When I have multiple cameras at a shoot, I like to make sure the cameras are all set to the correct time.   A modern camera with a built-in GPS makes both of these trivial.

There's nothing wrong with wanting newer gear with more features.  We just need to keep in mind that new gear rarely results in better photos.

Michael Fryd's gear list:Michael Fryd's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW130 Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow