Monopod/Tripod/HH Yes/No and when for use with Oly 100-400

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
averacpa Regular Member • Posts: 215
Monopod/Tripod/HH Yes/No and when for use with Oly 100-400

I am interested on finding out what most people do in each of the three methods to insure a high success rate of sharp images. This will help on deciding how to best carry the lens.

Recently got my Oly 100-400 which replaces the Pany 100-300 MkI version. This lens is quite large and heavier than any other m4/3 lens I have owned, feels on par with a Canon 100-400 I once had.

Another post I started regarding carrying the lens strongly suggest use of a sling and attaching it to the lens tripod foot. While this is great for handheld shooting, it becomes tedious and potentially dangerous to my equipment if I repeatedly screw/unscrew the rings attached to the lens foot in order to mount the lens onto a mono/tripod and make an attachment mistake. There is a possibility that a situation would arise where I initially intended to use a mono/tripod then shift to hand holding. The opposite would not occur as I would not bring along either.

Started practicing and learning how to successfully use the lens with a monopod, tripod and hand holding. Still a lot to learn and not easy as you get older.  There is an associate issue on whether to use lens IS, lens IS/camera IBIS or no stabilization with either a tripod and or monopod.

As a side note: A lot of conflicting videos out there regarding the stabilization some claiming that the lens provides 2 axis and the Oly body 1 additional (total 3) if S-IS is set to auto vs S-IS1.   Others claim that without the lens IS, the camera offers 5 axis IS.

I think Robin Wong's discussion is correct (based on Olympus) that the body cannot give 5 axis because the outer elements of the lens when extended to 400mm is too far from the body to effectively give it 5-axis, the body can only provide rotational stabilization thus 3 axis when combined with the lens IS. I am still working this out.  I am not arguing either position, just trying to sort it all out.

Any help and or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Andrew

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow