RF 70-200 F/2.8 Review in Kenya

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bobby V
Bobby V Senior Member • Posts: 1,592
RF 70-200 F/2.8 Review in Kenya

Hi all,

It's been a long time since I've posted on the forums, but I had the great fortune of many good subjects to test the 70-200 RF F/2.8 with in Kenya, and felt like I was finally at a point I could share some review impressions. I posted a full review on my website with additional sample photos here in case it is of interest: https://www.oxbowphoto.com/articles/review-of-the-canon-70-200-rf-f28-a-stunner-for-wildlife-photography

This is not really revolutionary train of thought, but I'm a believer that the 70-200 focal length has it's place in wildlife work, especially if you're interested in environmental scenes like me.

For me, I find it more challenging to focus both on animal and background which in turn keeps me more interested and engaged.

As for this specific 70-200, I find it awesome that it's so small and compact that bringing it along can be spontaneous, as opposed to the usual back-and-forth decisions I've had about bringing this type of lens.

I also like that with the wide open aperture of F/2.8 I can still focus attention on the subject with a moderate amount of OOF blur, like the gazelle below.

Inevitably sometimes wildlife are close, this dik-dik was somewhat tame as it was hanging out around the grounds of a camp (a lot of herbivores seem to have learned that hanging out around people brings a level of safety). In these cases there's really no better lens IMO.

Another instance where animal was close, e.g. on a safari where animals ignore vehicles and sometimes follow a predictable straight-line path, I found it very useful.

For me, I like the isolation effect small-in-frame can some times provide, like the hyena image below. In my opinion, a super tele would have made this a much more boring shot, basically the animal and a dull-grey background, but instead I'm reminded of this memorable scene.

In summary, I think this is a superlative lens that I can highly recommend to anybody with the means and desire to obtain it, and especially those that are interested in environmental/wildlife shooting, or small-in-frame type of stuff. It's an all-around excellent lens which one would certainly hope for at the high price point, and there isn't really any significant area with drawbacks other than maybe the fact that it doesn't take teleconverters or the high price tag. But I would trade the small size for this function any day.

Most of these were shot with the R3 body.

If you have any questions feel free to let me know.

-- hide signature --
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow