Planning a "once in a lifetime" trip to the Faroes and Iceland...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lyesainer
Lyesainer Forum Member • Posts: 59
Planning a "once in a lifetime" trip to the Faroes and Iceland...

Hello,

We are planning a pretty epic trip to the Faroe Islands and Iceland in 2024. We’ve always dreamed of going to these two places and we have planned to visit Iceland in 2024 for our 10th wedding anniversary. While researching the different options, we discovered that the only ferry going to there passes through the Faroes too. Since we really want to bring our own car, which is disabled-adapted (I am in a wheelchair, mode on that later) we figured this will be the best way to go about it… and heck, while we are at it, let’s visit both places in one huge, epic trip.

I am posting here because I am an amateur photographer and have some photo-related questions, but I am also looking for general advise, knowledge and tips as well. I’ll try to summarize the context a bit and list my questions…

Context:

We are a family of 4, our kids will be 16 and 12 years old in 2024.

I am in a wheelchair, have been all my life. I am practically as mobile and “extreme” as a wheelchair user can get. I am in the process of buying an “offroad” wheelchair that should allow us to access very hard terrain. Still, there are some (maybe many ☹) places that will remain off-limits because the hills are too steep or the ground is extremely rough (entirely made of rocks) or the passages are too tight… Still, we hope we can explore as much as possible, even if it’s physically hard.

We are planning to take the boat from Denmark to the Faroe, spend 1 week there and the move on to Iceland for 2 more weeks. The trip will be in August 2024.

I am, as said earlier, an amateur photographer. My current gear is

• Nikon Z5
  • 15-30 f2.8
  • 24-70 f4
  • 200-500 f5.6E

I am planning to get a drone, it seems mandatory… probably going for a Mavic Air 2, if I can find it on a decent 2nd hand offer.

Questions (I know I can “just google it”, I am doing that too):

• General
    • Is August a good period to visit these places? (don’t really have a choice, because of family reasons, but still I’d like to know)
    • Is it possible to find cheaper accommodations, such as AirBnB on the Faroes and Iceland?
    • Can one be fine not speaking the local language? (We speak English, French, Bulgarian)
    • What weather should we expect and what type of clothing and other gear should we consider bringing in August? Is it “warm”, “ok cold”, “damn cold”… Extreme weather jackets? Hats, gloves, thick socks…? Rain coats?
    • Are the volcanoes in Iceland always active or it’s a matter of luck?
    • Are the auroras visible in August or not?
    • We’ve started making a map of places to see, based on guides and videos but if you have hidden gems, do share!
  • Photography
    • Should I consider other lenses for the trip? I was pondering a 70-400 type of lens, but not sure I can find a cheap one…
    • Is my drone choice suitable for this trip? I’ve never owned a drone so not sure what to expect and what else I might need… filters? Tons of batteries? Dunno…
    • Still on the drone subject – are there some special limits I should know about, concerning drones and the Faroes or Iceland ?

Thanks for your time!

Lyesainer's gear list:Lyesainer's gear list
Nikon Z5 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 G2
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jfw
jfw
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow